Friday, January 27, 2012

Fishing For Love In All The Wrong Places




As a single working women I was tired of coming home to an empty apartment and eating alone every night. With very little time to socialize, I decided to try one of those online dating sites. A friend of mine suggested Plenty Of Fish, the name should have tipped me off, but I was desperate so I gave it a try. I do not know about most areas, but where I come from there are not so many fish in the sea. At least not keepers.

My first date with anyone from POF was with a guy from France. On our first date, the only thing that he wanted to do was to go to his house for drinks. I wanted to get to know him better before going to his house. Besides, I was hungry. So I suggested we go someplace for some food. He very calmly sized me up and then said, “I am not interested in feeding your, I am only interested in having sex with you.” Well my response to that was, “Unless you want to be wearing your balls as a pair of earrings, take your filthy hands off me”.

My God, I could go on for many days telling you about the sleazy guys I met on plenty of fish. Men who are married, pigs or just perverted that will tell you anything to get you between the sheets. Then of course there are the borderline stalkers that call even after you tell them you are not interested. I do not get the mentality of some guys who think that by being excessively persistent you will somehow change your opinion of them. Sometimes even the threat of police action does not deter them. From my experiences, the site has so many abnormal personalities on it, I wonder if the penal system is allowing access to dating sites. Certainly a Lady Gaga video I have seen would suggest that POF is available from inside.

I have never seen a place before with such a concentration of liars and cheats. I met over two dozen men in person via plenty of fish in the months I was a member. Only one of them was worth going beyond a second date with, and it turned out that on the fourth date he drops the bombshell that he is an illegal alien and needs to get married to stay in the country. Others wanted me to go on web-cam so they could see what I really look like because they did not believe my profile photo. Can you imagine, they didn't believe what I looked like when most of them looked nothing like their photo. POF does have its good points I suppose. If you are of average or even a bit below average in the looks department, you will get more than your fair share of attention.

The last straw for me with POF came when I made a date with a so called registered accountant, who by the way lives in a first class condo in down town New York. Everything was great. He took me to a top of the line restaurant. After questioning my tastes in food, he ordered for me, which was quite different than what most men would do. He ordered a really nice Pinot Grigio to go with our meals. We gone back to his place and he was a real gentlemen, we talked, laughed and snuggled.  Just when I thought I had broken my POF curse, the inevitable happened. The creep got around to telling me that he wanted me to prance around his apartment naked wearing nothing but a horse tail butt plug. Well after yelling at him a bit, using words like creep, pervert, twisted, and I forget what all else, I smacked him with my purse and galloped right out the door.

It was then I realized that POF was not for me and deleted my profile. I was so discouraged about this site that I vowed I would never again use a free dating site of any sort. My friend, being the pal that she was, did a bunch of searching on her own and said that she found a link with a bunch of recommended dating sites on it. She twisted my arm a bit and got me to at least check it out to see if I could find a better place than POF. When I got there I viewed it with a lot of skepticism, but once I realized the POF was not on their recommended list, they gained a bit in my esteem.  I was also surprised to find that eharmony was not there either – with all the ads on TV I had seen, they were the one I was going to try next, but they were just so darn expensive. After checking out some of the sites on one of their category pages, I signed up to a couple. I had decided that by spreading my profile farther afield that it would make it easier to just delete it from one of the sites. Best move I ever made. Now I am meeting decent men who are not looking for a bed buddy, but are genuinely looking for serious long term relationships. My happiness index has gone up a few points since then because I now have a social life again. What a nice change!

Most dating sites are not bad, although the totally free ones tend to attract more riffraff I am told. Even the best dating sites will have a few bad apples in them. You have to be on your guard anywhere. With internet dating you have to practice safe hex before you practice safe sex. Many sites are excellent at deleting the accounts of freaks and weirdos, but even the best have some zany characters haunting them. You have to be careful with your personal information, and remember, if you have any doubts about the person, do not agree to meet them.

So visit the link below. It has some great advice for online dating as well as lists of recommended dating sites. I think you will find what your looking for just like me. Good luck.
Advice for Women

No comments:

Post a Comment